(As amended on July 5, 1978).
The Contracting Parties, recognizing the desirability of introducing uniformity in the terms of the contract for the international carriage of goods by road and in particular the conditions relating to the documents required for such transport and the carrier’s liability, Have agreed as follows:
Chapter I. SCOPE OF APPLICATION OF THE CONVENTION
1. This Convention applies to any contract for the carriage of goods by road for remuneration by means of means of transport, where the place of loading of the goods and the place of delivery of the goods specified in the contract are located in the territory of two different countries, of which at least one is a party to the Convention. The application of the Convention does not depend on the residence and nationality of the parties to the agreement.
2. In the application of this Convention, a “vehicle” means cars, semi-trailers, trailers and semi-trailers as defined in article 4 of the Convention on Road Traffic of 19 September 1949.
3. This Convention shall also apply if the transportations falling within its scope are made by States or governmental agencies or organizations.
4. This Convention does not apply:
• a) for transport operations carried out in accordance with international postal conventions;
• b) transport of dead persons;
• c) for transportation of furniture and furniture during the journeys.
5. Contracting Parties shall prohibit the amendment of this Convention through private agreements concluded between two or more Contracting Parties, with the exception of the cancellation of its application to their border traffic or the authorization to use consignment notes establishing the ownership of goods .